Saturday, April 23, 2011

mary mae






my grandma was pretty boss, as grandmas go. she taught me my right from left, by holding out your thumb and index finger (something i still use about 3 times a day). she showed me the joy of collection ephemera, like agates and stamps. she and grandpa were fearless travelers, favoring the sunny beaches of hawaii and puerto vallarta. she was more in love with her husband than anyone i've ever met, and he returned the favor. i never saw her wear "slacks," she always dressed like a lady. she loved blackberry brandy, diamonds and fur, a triple threat indeed. her stories were the best. i'll miss her.

4 comments:

Nick said...

I love these pictures and am so happy that Grandma had all of these! Thanks for posting. I have a strong inclination to go out agate hunting...

Natalie Schaefer said...

nick, you're my only brother-in-law and my favorite brother-in-law. happy agate hunting!

Jess said...

Oops...I guess I was signed in as Nick on this computer. Oh well...Nick would go agate hunting, I'm sure.

Natalie Schaefer said...

That is too funny! I thought that was an especially heartfelt comment to come from old Orum, but thought maybe he had gotten into your blackberry brandy stash :)